St. Lawrence University International Student Advisor (Temporary/Emergency hire) in Canton, New York
Position Title International Student Advisor (Temporary/Emergency hire)
General summary of position: Under the general supervision of the Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion and other staff affiliated with program management, the International Student Advisor will be responsible for issues related to international student immigration, academic and personal advising, medical issues, and disciplinary and academic concerns. This position will also assist with assessment of ESL needs of incoming students, and provide support during peak advising times with tax compliance and work authorization. The candidate for this position must have demonstrated experience interacting with students from diverse backgrounds and cultures; must be able to assist students and student groups; and must be able to work independently within parameters and priorities established by the program directors or coordinators. Flexibility is expected for the incumbent to accommodate University needs.
• Be knowledgeable of and able to assist students and families with basic policies and procedures of the Offices of Financial Aid, the Registrar, Student Financial Services, Academic Advising Programs, and Health and Counseling Services. Refer questions and/or concerns to the appropriate office.
• Work closely with the International Student Services staff to ensure all summer and special program details are finalized.
• Work closely with the International Student Services staff and affiliated staff to coordinate new student orientation; perform all tasks necessary in order to ensure a successful arrival for new students.
• Assist students and the many student groups that the office advises with budgets, venue reservations, van rentals, and purchases.
• Update and maintain Web page with current events. Email students with relevant updates.
• Create signs and announcements for special events and general publicity.
Bachelor’s degree required. Competency in second language preferred. Demonstrated excellence in interacting with students from diverse backgrounds and cultures required; cultural competency in interacting with and supporting diverse international and domestic groups required. Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to determine priorities and meet deadlines required. Ability to operate Mac, PC and associated software (Excel, Word, and Print Shop) and other equipment (copy and fax machines) required
Competency in second language preferred.
Status (FT, PT, Seasonal, Temp) Temporary
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number ST00441
Desired Start Date 04/02/2018
Open Date (to accept applications)
Close Date (date applications will not be considered)
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants please submit a letter of application, resume and a list of 3 professional references. Applicants should also submit a separate document with a statement indicating how they can contribute in tangible ways to St. Lawrence University’s commitment to cultivating a diverse and inclusive community. These documents can be uploaded in the “Applicant Documents” section of your application.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the finalist successfully passing a background (including criminal records) check.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Cover Letter/Letter of Application
A List of 3 Professional References