Cornell Cooperative Extension Dairy & Livestock Educator - Watertown, NY in Watertown, New York
This position will serve as the Dairy and Livestock Educator for Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Jefferson County and will provide program assessment, development, implementation and administrative direction, management and coordination to the Dairy and Livestock Program. This position will plan, develop, coordinate and implement programming for a menu of Dairy and Livestock programs and program activities. This includes implementation of educational programming in support of alternative animal agriculture, including sheep, goats, beef, bison, pork and poultry, etc. including all aspects of production and marketing. This position coordinates all activities within the Dairy and Livestock Program including: program assessment, development, implementation, and evaluation, reporting, and fiscal management. This position will develop, coordinate and evaluate educational resources and materials for appropriate programmatic use. Will work with Cornell University faculty in aspects of program and curriculum development as appropriate. Conducts and oversees education programs in both individual and group settings using a variety of modalities including workshops, seminars, demonstrations, interest groups, newsletters, farm visits and mass media. Coordinates and participates in the preparation of presentations, workshops and professional trainings for various community members and organizations. Develops and presents innovative educational programs on related topics and maintains positive working relationships with professional networks. Will utilize a variety of tools to analyze and evaluate program offerings and complete reporting and evaluation requirements for program accountability. Will make recommendations for programmatic change based on evaluation results.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS:
PLEASE READ BEFORE APPLYING
All applicants must apply by close of day on April 23, 2018 to be considered for this position. All applicants must complete an application packet, which includes: cover letter, resume and three (3) references.
All External Applicants (including applicants currently employed by Cornell Cooperative Extension in Associations other than the Association advertising this career opportunity) must submit his/her application materials via the "APPLY" button located within this job posting.
All Internal Applicants (current employees working for the Association advertising this career opportunity) must apply online via his/her Workday account, which may be accessed here: http://workday.cornell.edu/.
Please contact Jane Pearson, Association Regional HR Coordinator at 315-788-8450 with questions.
This position is a full-time exempt position - 100% FTE. Salary commensurate with experience. This position, based on eligibility, offers a comprehensive benefit package, to include: health and dental insurance, retirement, vacation, sick and personal leave.
- Master’s Degree.
- Experience relevant to the role of the position.
- Valid NYS driver’s license and the ability to meet travel requirements associated with this position.
- Ability to meet acceptable background check standards (DMV and criminal background checks).
- Ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings and/or weekends, as appropriate.
- Demonstrated knowledge of subject matter appropriate to area of programming.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, plan, organize, implement, teach and evaluate informal education programs through a variety of program delivery methods to reach individuals and groups.
- Demonstrated willingness to learn new subject materials.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively through oral, written, and visual means.
- Demonstrated ability to relate to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to use standard computer programs, including social media.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively participate in professional team efforts.
Assessment - 20%
- Develop program needs assessment, analyze program needs and make recommendations for programming (new programs, enhancements or improvements to existing programs).
- Develop and maintain Extension/Cornell University faculty connections for guidance with program assessment.
- Ensure program assessment is within scope of the statewide Plan of Work.
- Design and implement plan and timeline to meet program assessment needs.
- Assist in multi-Association team efforts related to program assessment as appropriate.
Development - 20%
- Apply subject matter knowledge in the development of innovative Dairy and Livestock educational programming and strategies.
- Assist Supervisor in developing programs to meet multi-association needs and changing priorities when needed/appropriate.
- Develop innovative research and evidence-based Dairy and Livestock programming to address identified issues and ensure content conforms to the policies and objectives of Cornell University and this Association.
- Research, identify and select program resources as needed.
- Structure Dairy and Livestock program to meet the diverse needs of the community and program participants, including youth.
- Develop Extension/Cornell University faculty connections for guidance with program development.
- Make program changes as needed based on evaluation outcomes.
- Work in cooperation with team members to help develop programming for the Agriculture Program area.
Delivery - 20%
- Provide direct teaching and instruction in Dairy and Livestock Management, including, but not limited to the following topics: nutrition, herd health, reproduction, production records, milking management, replacements, and housing, utilizing established program resources and materials, and utilizing a variety of proven educational methodologies in program work.
- Provide direct teaching and instruction in alternative animal agriculture, including, but not limited to the following topics: sheep, goats, beef, bison, pork and poultry etc., including production and marketing.
- Implement and facilitate Dairy and Livestock Management educational programming for a menu of existing Agriculture programs in accordance with established program parameters, including, but not limited to: Animal facilities, quality assurance, animal comfort and welfare, health and animal production best practices to support marketing and profitability.
- Implement educational programs through workshops, seminars, demonstrations, interest groups, newsletters, farm visits, mass media and agri-business contacts utilizing established resources and per established program parameters, and apply dairy and livestock subject matter knowledge to create lesson plans to deliver these educational programs as appropriate.
- Actively teach and participate in state-wide programs, such as, PRO-DAIRY.
- Apply in-depth subject matter knowledge to create lesson plans necessary to deliver high-quality educational programming.
- Provide educational program efforts via mass media.
- Deliver educational programs as a part of multi-association efforts when identified/appropriate.
- Work to foster acceptance of the Dairy and Livestock program, methods and policies while addressing community and individual needs and considering diverse audiences.
- Serve as a team member and cooperate with the entire Association and Agriculture Program staff to achieve Association delivery goals.
- Serve as subject matter expert in the area of Dairy and Livestock to staff and participants, community organizations and the general public.
- Directly teach and participate in non-agriculture, cross-programming efforts as appropriate.
- Represent Cornell Cooperative Extension of Jefferson County in a professional manner and communicate and cooperate with the public, agribusinesses, veterinarians, DHI Associations, Quality Management Production Service, feed dealers, agricultural Coordinator, government officials, community leaders, Cornell and/or other land grant universities as a part of program delivery.
Evaluation - 10%
- Implement program evaluation as designed.
- Apply subject matter knowledge to evaluate educational program offerings.
- Based on program parameters, interpret and analyze evaluation data.
- Make recommendations for improvement.
- Design/re-design or creation of the program evaluation framework.
- Assist the Regional Agriculture Team in evaluating and analyzing industry education needs.
Direction - 10%
- Work in cooperation with team members to help establish priorities and objectives for the Agriculture Program area.
- Interpret association program direction to plan educational programs in the Agriculture Program area.
- Plan the delivery of established Dairy and Livestock Program goals.
- Make program recommendations for consideration to the Supervisor as a part of the budget development process.
- Plan educational programs and program delivery initiatives in assigned programming areas.
- Assist in the planning and promotion major public events and programs (professional development opportunities, community events, group workshops).
- Assist in the planning and promotion of mass media efforts related to upcoming events and programs.
- Make recommendations to the Supervisor related to the Dairy and Livestock Program staffing plan as appropriate.
- Represent the Association to funding agencies and grant sources to negotiate and develop new sources of revenue and opportunities to meet program priority and clientele needs.
- In conjunction with the Supervisor, pursue and develop sources of funding both internally and externally and mange financial and human resources needed to deliver and sustain programs.
- In conjunction with Supervisor, develop implementation procedures to manage referrals, identify and communicate client educational needs that satisfy funding sources and achieve program goals.
Management - 10%
- Provide guidance and assist with problem solving when needed, in accordance with established practices and procedures.
- Identify and recommend Dairy and Livestock program needs to Supervisor.
Coordination/Operation - 5%
- Assist in organizing and coordinating all program activities related to Dairy and Livestock Programming (professional development opportunities, community events, group workshops).
- Effectively maintain professional relationships with other agencies, organizations and businesses that promote effective communication and facilitate continued programming efforts.
- Effectively maintain professional competencies for self and program staff by staying current with professional journals and periodicals in the field, participating with Cornell University Updates and Research Briefs and maintaining a relationship with colleagues to ensure the most current and comprehensive education and training are provided.
- Work to coordinate research-based programming offerings that support the mission of Cornell Cooperative Extension of Jefferson County and meet the needs of the program participants.
- Assist in the coordination of effective marketing strategies in the promotion of programming efforts to include, but not limited to: print media, news media, social media, and multi-media efforts.
- Compile existing resources into educational program materials.
- Maintain updates, evidence-based lesson plans, charts, audio-visual aides for educating a wide range of audiences.
- Coordinate and contribute to media such as the Watertown Daily Times and Carthage Tribune for the Agriculture Program area.
- Participate and assist with Association and Agriculture staff meetings.
- Collect evaluation data and program needs assessments from program participants based on existing evaluation framework and guidelines.
- Responsible for recordkeeping, data entry, and program reports that support the Association, community, and Dairy and Livestock programming reporting requirements.
- This position may require the transport of program participants and/or program materials and resources.
Professional Improvement and Other Duties as Assigned - 5%
- In cooperation with Supervisor and/or Executive Director, jointly develop and pursue a professional development plan as a means to increase competencies relative to position accountabilities and to address changes in programming and association priorities.
- Collaborate in activities that are in general support of Cornell Cooperative Extension including but not limited to attendance at staff meetings, timely reporting of expenses, working with other staff, general marketing of Extension programs and other duties as assigned.
Health and Safety - Applied to all duties and functions.
- Support the association to maintain a safe working environment.
- Be familiar and strive to follow any applicable federal, state, local regulations, association health and safety policy/procedure/requirement and standard.
- Act proactively to prevent accidents/injuries and communicate hazards to supervisors when identified.
EEO/EPO and Policy - Applied to all duties and functions.
- Appreciate and embrace diversity in all interactions with clientele, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Assist the Cornell Cooperative Extension system in reaching out to diverse audiences.
- Aware of, and adheres to, established Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Jefferson County policies and procedures.
- Contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing all assigned duties in a professional, timely, and accurate manner.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Association Resource Educator
Pay Rate Type:
Number of Openings:
Cornell Cooperative Extension is a collaboration among Cornell University, the United States Department of Agriculture, the State of New York, and the residents of New York State. Per NYS Law, county and regional extension service associations are subordinate government agencies. This employment opportunity is with the entities listed and not with Cornell University.
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Individuals who bring a diverse perspective and are support of diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Posted 12 Days Ago
- Full time